Monday, October 14, 2013

Frugalista

Reading an article about Mr. Money Mustache and frugality made me want to catalogue my own spending habits.

Things I do differently from many of my friends that save me money:

  • Don't get manicures or pedicures
  • Don't get massages or facials
  • Don't buy designer handbags, clothes, shoes, nail polish, jewelry
  • Don't get blackout drunk on weekends
  • Don't have meals that cost more than HK$400 per head except on select birthdays
  • Don't stay at five-star hotels on holidays
  • Only get haircuts once every 6+ months and never get other treatments
  • Get haircuts at Mina Dev'wil
  • Take a lot of mass transportation instead of taxis if alone
  • Don't impulse buy makeup
  • Try to keep lunch below HK$60
  • Eat lots of Subway sandwiches, pizza and kebabs for dinner
  • Drink lots of wine from 7-Eleven
  • Drink beer
  • Don't take classes
  • Read a lot
  • Hike a lot
  • Don't ever lose cellphone
  • Banned clubbing from life
  • Banned from life any drink that comes in a plastic bottle, unless in hiking emergency

Things I do differently from many of my friends that cost me money:

  • Leave air-conditioning on all day during summer months
  • Have a cat
  • Am only willing to fly on Cathay Pacific or Dragonair (if out of HKG)
  • Live in Soho
  • Don't live with parents
  • Buy coffee from Starbucks almost every weekday
  • Don't let guys pay for everything
  • Buy high-end cosmetics
  • Don't have insurance for doctors' visits
  • Don't get corporate discounts

Things I should do:
  • INVEST

No comments: